College History and Donors
History and Growth
- Government Arts College, Karur was established in the year 1966.
- The College was commenced with five under graduate courses under the affiliation of the Madras University adopting Tamil as its medium of instruction.
- The college has been functioning effectively with the adoption of co-education system since 1972.
- From the academic year 1984-1985 onwards, the college functions under the affiliation of Bharthidasan university.
- The Institution gets a fair credit for having introduced B.Sc Computer Science course during the academic year 1988-89 for the first time in Tamil Nadu.
- Computer Literacy Programme launched by the Tamil Nadu Government has been functioning successfully since 2000 for the Non-computer science students.
- During 2001, the college was accredited with three star status by NAAC. The college was again reaccredited with B+ status by NAAC during 2006-07.
- During the academic year 2006-2007, the Tamil Nadu Government converted all self-financing courses as regular courses and regular faculties were appointed to conduct those classes.
- The college was conferred Autonomous Status during the academic year 2007 - 2008. Autonomous status was further extended upto 2018-19.
- Adding to its another feather on its cap the college was reaccredited with A Grade status by NAAC during the year 2014-15.
After Attaining Autonomy
- All the departments were equipped with audio visual facility. College library is enhanced with Digital Library facility.
- We offer B.Com.(CA) B. Stat. and BSC Geology
- We also offer Under Graduate courses in Computer Science and B.Com. under shift II basis. At present the college offers 17 degree programs .
- We offer Full time and Part time Ph.D. in History, Tamil, Botany, Mathematics Economics Eand Computer Science.
- We offer full time M.Phil. in History, Tamil, Botany, Commerce, Zoology, English and Physics.
- College library, Auditorium, Geography lab, Commerce and Geography block , Physics wing, Mini Auditorium and Botany Research Lab were constructed.
- Language Lab was established during the academic year 2010-2011.
- Faculty strength increased considerably to more than 115, in which 62 are Ph.D.holders
- More than 100 computers were purchased under central purchase scheme through DCE.
- Internet facility is available in all the departments and the college office which helps in expanding the knowledge and teaching the subject with recent and innovative thoughts to students.
- Our college received and utilized funds from UGC, UGC(A), PG Grant, Non-Plan, UGC XI and UGC XII plan schemes for the purchase of equipments, books and building construction.
- Grants are received for minor and major research project under UGC XII plan.
- Grants are received for seminars / symposia/ workshops under UGC XII plan.
- Grants have also been received for organizing remedial courses for students, Entry Service Coaching Class and NET/SET coaching classes under UGC XII plan.
- Established Reverse Osmosis water purifier plant and Water Cooler in different places with the help of alumni fund.
- Every year our students get selected and participate in All India Level Sports meet.
- BSNL landline and WiFi connection facilitated the campus for high level internet connectivity
- Our NCC cadets are also selected to participate in the Republic Day Parade at New Delhi.
- Every year our college has produced several meritorious and University Rank Holders in various departments.
News and Events
- Retotalling Transperancy and Revaluation _ November 2019 Exams
- Sem. Exam. Results - Nov. 2019
- Our College Students Secured Gold Medal in National Youth Boxing Championship Held at Jaipur,Rajastan
- Hall Ticket Download (Nov. 2019)
- UG Semester Examination_November 2019_ Time table
- PG Semester Examination_November 2019_ Time table
- UG/PG Semester Examination_November2019_ Circular